Posted on: 24 June 2022
Teeth consist of a pulp below the enamel, which contains blood vessels. When the pulp gets infected by bacteria, it may decay and cause pain. In this regard, a root canal may be appropriate. The procedure entails eliminating the rotten blood vessels inside the tooth and sanitizing the tooth. Then, dentists install dental fillings, seal the tooth, and install a dental crown to protect the treated tooth. If you're considering root canal treatment, here's everything you should know.
The Indicators of Root Canal Treatment
The common indicators of a root canal include:
- Tooth pain. Decayed blood vessels inside the teeth may cause severe and persistent pain.
- Teeth sensitivity. When bacteria eat away the enamel, this may expose your tooth's pulp and may cause sensitivity to cold or hot drinks.
- Tooth discoloration. Decayed blood vessels may become blackish-gray, changing your tooth's original white color.
These signs may indicate different dental problems like gum disease. However, your dentist should assess your dental health and diagnose these symptoms correctly. If the signs occur due to a decayed pulp, consider root canal treatment.
The Pros of a Root Canal Procedure
Root canal treatment comes with numerous benefits, such as:
- Pain alleviation. The rotten pulp may affect your teeth' functionality. Hence, you may feel pain when biting or chewing. A root canal removes the rotten blood vessels which restore painless dental functions.
- Prevents damage to adjacent teeth. When bacteria infect a tooth, and you leave it untreated, the infection may spread to adjacent teeth. This increases the risk of losing multiple teeth. Fortunately, root canal treatment eliminated infected pulp, protecting other teeth from infection.
Root Canal Treatment Costs
The cost of a root canal varies depending on various factors like:
- The number of affected teeth. Dentists usually charge more for administering root canal treatment on multiple teeth than a single tooth.
- Choice of dentist. Each dental clinic charges a special price for root canal procedures. Hence, get a quote from various clinics and compare them. This helps select the most affordable root canal treatment. However, as you make cost-related decisions, pick an experienced dentist offering quality treatment.
- Insurance terms. Some dental insurance policies may cover a partial or full amount of your root canal treatment. However, some dentists may not accept all insurance covers. So, choose a dentist in your insurance listing to save money.
The essential things to know about root canal treatment include its signs, benefits, and costs. Understanding this information will help you gain more confidence in the root canal procedure.
For more information, contact a local office like Cottonwood Dental.Share