Posted on: 26 February 2015
If you must receive dentures from your dentist because you have missing teeth, then you need to know how to care for them. The only way to know how to care for them is to become more understanding of the facts that surround them. This is why you should know these five things about dentures that will help you to care for them in the right way:
- Overnight Soaking Kills 99.9% of Germs: Overnight soaking of the dentures should never be skipped. This is because overnight soaking kills 99.9% of the germs that are sitting on them. Although it may be tempting to use quick cleaners that you can find in your local pharmacy, these aren't nearly as effective.
- Be Wary if You Suffer from Dry Mouth: If you suffer from dry mouth, you need to be extra careful about the cleanliness of your dentures. This is because you are more exposed to potential diseases since you don't have the normal saliva levels that help to wash away bacteria during the day. This means that not only should you be soaking your dentures at night, but you should also be cleaning them throughout the day.
- Daily Brushing Isn't Enough: Many of those who wear dentures believe that quickly brushing them is enough cleaning during the day. However, this is not the case. This is because acrylic dentures have pores that bacteria can easily hide in. A brush and some toothpaste is not going to reach that hidden bacteria easily. So, when you go to clean your dentures in the afternoon, you need to be sure that you use a quick denture cleaning solution that soaks them for a few minutes in order to reach that hidden bacteria.
- Larger Issues Arise from Poorly-Cared-for Dentures: You must be aware that when you wear dentures, you are more exposed to large problems if you are not caring for the dentures in the proper way. Those who do not care for their dentures by cleaning them regularly throughout the day and soaking them at night are exposed to mouth sores, angular cheilitis, and more. Not only will this lead to higher dental costs, but it can even cause larger health issues that must be addressed by your regular doctor.
- Older Patients Have Higher Bacteria Counts: Older patients who wear dentures have a much higher bacteria count in their mouths than younger patients. This means that if you are an older patient, cleaning the dentures is especially important. Daily cleaning should never be skipped for this reason, especially after each meal that is consumed.
By knowing these five things about dentures, you can be sure that you better understand the important of caring for them.Share